A rodent infestation is a problem on more than one level
Rodents are a nasty surprise for any home or business owner. Not only are they unhygienic, but they can cause a lot of damage to electrical appliances, and bad infestations can even cause structural damage. Not to mention the potential for reputational damage in a commercial setting.
How to tell if you have a rodent problem
A rodent problem is easy to spot because they often leave behind tell-tale signs of their presence. The following signs mean that you likely have a rodent problem:
- Tracks and trails
- Damaged food or food packaging
- Disappearance of food
- Gnawing marks
- Scratching or gnawing sounds
- Urine stains
- Pets becoming agitated or excited
- Sightings of rodents
How will pest control deal with a rodent problem?
When Brisbane City Pest Control receive a call for a rodent problem, we will begin by conducting a thorough site inspection. We want to find and identify all of the rodents’ entry points and harbourage areas. Our technicians look for signs of gnawing, nesting, and droppings to discover the areas they frequent – these are the areas we will target and place baiting stations. Brisbane City Pest Control technicians exclusively use lockable baiting stations to ensure children and pets cannot access the poison. We use low doses of poison, meaning that the rodents will feed on the poisonous bait a few times before it kills them. We do this to ensure all of the rodents on the property feed from the baiting stations and because the rodents are then more likely to die away from the house. It can take between 4 and 10 days to kill the rodents using this method.
How to prevent a rodent infestation
Whether you want to prevent a rodent infestation or get rid of mice and rats in your home, our advice is the same:
- Keep your kitchen clean. Wipe your benchtops clean after use to remove any spills and food scraps.
- Wash dishes and utensils at the end of every night and clean the floor of any crumbs and other food sources daily.
- Store foods in airtight containers in your fridge, in cupboards or on shelves above floor level
- Dispose of food scraps and other rubbish daily
- Regularly clean and vacuum your home to remove crumbs
- Reduce clutter or piles of clothes and paper where they may nest
- Reduce the availability of water, including spills and leakiy plumbing
- Regularly clean the hard to reach places like the tops of cupboards, back of shelves, under and behlnd appliances
- Store pet food inside in airtight containers. If petfood must be stored outside, a sealed metal container is preferable.
- Do not leave uneaten pet food unattended – remove, wash and store pets food bowls once they have finished eating. Clean up petfood debri from the area.
Even after removing the food sources of rodents, a Rodent Pest Control Treatment is likely to be necessary to get rid of them completely.
Think you have a rodent problem?
Contact the team at Brisbane City Pest Control today and arrange an appointment.