What Consequences Do Pest Infestations Have For Hospitality Businesses
Hospitality businesses are the most affected by pest infestations. Customers rely on your premises being hygienic and safe. The presence of pests in your kitchen is unacceptable by both customer and government standards. Cleanliness and hygiene are of the utmost importance to safe food preparation.
Pest infestations can have serious consequences for your hospitality business, including:
- Ruined reputation
- Nasty rumours or reviews that hang around long after you have dealt with the infestation
- Reduced customer numbers
- Lower turnover
- Intervention by food hygiene authorities
- Temporary closure to deal with the pest infestation
Extreme or repeated infestations could also result in your business being closed.
Pests like to hang out in commercial kitchens because there are plenty of dark, damp places to hide, great water sources, and a smorgasbord of food. They often hide in cavities, cracks, and crevices in the walls and floors as well as behind electrical appliances and cooking devices. In some cases, pests may even hide inside the sink or dishwasher or in crates, boxes, and other packaging in your kitchen.
How Can I Prevent Pest Infestations In My Commercial Kitchen?
The Australian Food Standard Code takes pest issues seriously and requires commercial kitchens and food businesses to adhere to strict hygiene and pest control standards. All food businesses must take reasonable measures to prevent pests from coming into contact with food and to swiftly eradicate any pest problems.
In order to prevent pest infestations, we recommend food businesses do the following things:
- Inspect the building integrity regularly and seal any cracks, holes and gaps to prevent pests from gaining access
- Install fly screens on all windows and doors and ensure they are well maintained
- Close all doors when they are not in use
- Install weather strips on the base of all doors
- Schedule regular pest inspections with a licensed pest control company
- Maintain clean conditions throughout the whole premises
- Thoroughly clean the kitchen and dining area at the end of the night
- Store food, kitchenware, and equipment properly
Call us if you require a pest inspection for your hospitality business.
Punctual and professional Pest Control. Good communication and tips provided before the job was done. Recommend their services!